Monday, March 05, 2007

Week 4

This was my last week at the MTC. It was a crazy busy week, filled with exciting changes and adjustments.

First of all, I started Visitor's Center Training class for my last week in the MTC. This meant that I didn't get to go to my Mandarin District for class. I had to leave my companion, Sister Culter, during the day when we attended different classes. Sister Feng (from Guang Xi, mainland China) was my daytime companion. We worked really well together and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to be companions with her. We taught several English and Mandarin lessons and Visitor's Center presentations together. It was always the most spiritual experience whenever we taught together...every lesson! We both wished to continue being companions out in the mission field, but now Sister Feng is in Hawaii and I am in Oakland...I know that Heavenly Father placed us where we need to be and that He has blessed me with great companionships in the MTC!

On my last Saturday at the MTC, the Visitor's Center sisters in my class got to make a field trip up to Salt Lake City Temple Square. We went on splits with some of the Temple Square sister missionaries and that was an AWESOME experience! My first "trainer" was Sister Wong from Macau. We got to take a gentlemen from Zhu Hai, Guang Dong mainland China on a tour. This was a very rare opportunity and I knew that my chance taking this man on tour with Sister Wong was no accident. Mr Zhang (same last name as me!) walked for 3 hours from his Hotel to get to Temple Square! We taught him about Jesus Christ and about the Church. I had no Christian background and asked a lot of good and sincere questions. By the end of the tour, Mr Zhang had a Chinese Book of Mormon to read and take home to China. We didn't need to offer him the book, he asked for one! I sure hope he gets to learn more about this gospel!

My second "trainer" at Temple Square was Sister Kent from Texas/England. She was a really good missionary and knew alot about Temple Square. We took 3 guys from Nashville Tennessee on tour. They had never seen a temple before and really was impressed with the Salt Lake Temple. They were Christian and had a lot of good questions about our church too. The Spirit was ever so present throughout our tour and Sister Kent and I had many opportunities to teach and testify aka "teachify." By the end of this awesome tour, they wanted to learn more about the church and when they go back to Tennessee, they will probably meet with the missionaries! This is the beauty of serving at Temple Visitor's Centers!

As I mentioned before, I got to sing at our Missionary Departure Devotional at the MTC 2 Sundays ago. That was a special treat as I got to, in a way, bear my testimony in front of 300 missionaries through song. I have never done that before and it was an incredible feeling! President and Sister Boone spoke in that devotional. President Boone started his talk with Fei's (my older sister's) joke that was printed in the New Era not too long ago. I think it was in one of the Summer or Fall 2005 issue. It was the joke about the Book of Mormon gold plates, brass plates, small plates, large plates and our modern day PAPER plates =) [Hey, Jie, you're famous! hehehe..]

Finally, my last 2 days in the MTC went by really fast. It wasn't hectic; just fast and lots of things to do all over the place. As I took last minute pictures with missionaries and President Boone, I felt kind of sad to leave this Place. Strange as it sounds, I knew I would miss the MTC and Provo. I had been in Provo for the last year and a half. The MTC was another comfortable bubble. Most people usaully can't wait to get out of this place. For me, I knew the time I sepnt here was well spent - 3 weeks learning Mandarin and 1 week learning how to increase our ability to discern the needs of the people we teach, and how to make full use of the tools we have such as videos, movies, cool exhibits etc. readily available at the visitor's center.

Saying goodbye was hard, but saying hello to Oakland made it all the more worth while!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home