Monday, March 26, 2007

WEEk 8

A mission is measured by transfers. There are 6 weeks in a transfer. Every six weeks there is a possibility that you will be serving with a new companion, maybe serve in a new area, and new missionaries come in from the MTC. There are two and a half weeks left before this transfer is over. We get a fresh group of missionaries from the Provo MTC on April 11. There will be at least 3 to 4 new Chinese speaking sister missionaries joining us in the Visitor's Center! With only 2 1/2 weeks left this transfer, Sister Scholl and I are working as hard as we can before we might get moved out of this Chinese Branch. We have visited many less active members and recent converts. We are teaching 3 new investigators and working with a part member family. Just when we are starting to get to know the branch, this transfer is almost over....we might stay in the same area next tranfer, but we might not either. Thus is life...you can never get too comfortable in one place...change is good =)
Last week I met a man at the Visitor's Center who attends the same ward as Uncle Roy's family in Seattle! It was awesome! He knows Bev and LeRoy and Julianna =) It was cool to meet someone who knows my family. On that same day, I met another man that used to go to Penang, Malaysia on business trips. He mentioned that he could never find the Church there and wondered if the church was in Malaysia. I told him that we had 2 branches in Penang, but it was harder to find the Church in Malaysia because it's small, and if you look up the yellow pages, the Church is listed under the business section =)
I've mentioned to my companion recently how I haven't met any Malaysians in our mission area yet. I knew that if I bumped into a Malaysian, it would be a window of opportunity to share the gospel and talk with them, just by the fact that we came from the same country. Sure enough, yesterday when we went door knocking, we met a man who grew up in Malaysia! His family has been in the US for 20 over years now. At first when he answered the door, he wasn't too interested in hearing our message. But somehow we got to talking and found out he grew up in Ipoh, Malaysia. I told him that I was from KL and that I grew up in the Church and my parents joined the church in Australia and Singapore respectively. We shared with him the importance of family emphasied in the Church and gave him a Chinese copy of the proclamation on Family. We also shared about the church organization with youth programs, women's programs and the men's program too. It was just such a great opportunity to meet another Malaysian and touch base with home for a small moment.
One of the scriptures my companion and I are memorizing this week is Helaman 5:12. I love this scripture that talks about building our foundation on Chirst. Throughout our lives and especially on a mission, we experience various opposition and sometimes get shaken by the stroms of life. The adversary knows we are on the straight and narrow path and constantly tries to pull us away. One time this last week I had spoken with a man on the phone (we get referrals from members and visitors that come to the visitor's center, and make phone calls to these referred people from all over the world and offer them church DVDs and materials as part of our Visitor's Center program). This particular gentleman I spoke with was out to contend about doctrine. A converstion that you would normally pull away immediately for it is hard to feel the Spirit in such situations. I finally managed to pull away from such disruptive conversation after a long time talking on the phone. After gettin off the phone, I felt like I had just stepped out of a hurricane, earthquake and just blown out my two feet from a very strong windstorm. I was hurt and shaken up by this man who didn't want to trully know God. Immediately after getting off the phone, I said a silent prayer. The scripture that we were memorizing that morning came to mind - Helaman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Chirst, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." I testify that this is true. That is we build our foundation upon Christ. If we learn and live His teachings, of we arm ourselves with the armor of God (Ephesians 6, we will have the
sheild and protection, the spirit to guide and protect us. The devil shall have no power to drag us down, because we shall prevail him. I am grateful for that foundation that I had. The confusing words and twisted doctrine of this gentleman did not stick in my mind. It just entered one ear and exited the other. All that was left was an even surerer knowledge that this gospel is true. This is the only true church on the earth. Chirst is the head of this Church and we can come to know the truthfulness of this gospel if we are sincere in our hearts and come unto Him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home