Monday, July 09, 2007

WEEK 23

My first week away from the Visitors' Center has been good. Infact, I've been so busy out here in Alamo and Danville that I hadn't had the time to miss it yet =)
Last Wednesday (my first full day in this new area) was the big July 4th celebration (Independence Day). We started the day with breakfast at church with the Alamo 1st ward. I met lots of wonderful members, two of which we went tracting and visiting less active members with during the week. Working with members is something I have not had the chance to do while in the Chinese branch.
After breakfast, we went home to figure out our area. We lived right by the Parade area but we stayed home to do some planning (since I am completely new to this area and Sister Khanakham has been here for one transfer which was also her first transfer out in the mission field).
Sister Khanakham is such a great missionary. She knows many of the members and has also built wonderful relationships with many of the less-active and part member families. The ward members love her =) And they LOVE sister missionaries =D
In the afternoon of July 4th, we went to the Alamo 2nd Ward BBQ at Bishop Stapley's home. That was where I met the Orgills. Brother Gary Orgill's brother's family is in this ward! It was so good to meet them! Fei mentioned in her e-mail today that she got in touch with Jenny Orgill online recently and Jen told her about her uncle's family who attend the ward I am serving right now. Trully a small world =)
Also, the Dabiers are a family that lived in Penang for 3 years. They knew Elder Mike Orgill who served in Penang then. The Dabiers are amazing and we might visit them sometime.
As I mentioned last week how I got transfered out of the Visitors' Center and am currently serving "full pros," Fei asked in her last e-mail if I will ever get to serve at the Visitors' center again. The answer is absolutely YES! And I have a feeling it will be pretty soon that I will be sent back to the VC again. Usually President Beck tries to send out every VC sister to Full Pros for at least 2 to 3 transfers for the experience. But we always get to serve in the VC again. I'm not sure how long I'll be out from the visitors' center (probably not for long), but I'll go wherever He wants me to go...
Fei also asked if I will get to serve in the Chinese branch again. I feel there is a high possibility, and if it's not the Oakland Chinese branch, there are 2 other Chinese programs in our mission that I could serve at. So I am not done with Chinese yet!
Moving on to more exciting things, Yesterday our Chinese investigator from last transfer, Mr Wu, got baptized. We had set a baptismal date for 29th July but the elders who took over our area moved it up to 9th July. Mr. Wu quit smoking in 10 days! He has shown a great desire to change his life for good since the first day we met him on May 26. Sister Hsiao and I (who are currently rommates) were so excited to hear the news about his baptism while we were all the way in Danville. We got permission to drive back to Oakland yesterday to attend his baptism. Sister Hsiao was so excited as we (Sister Scholl, Hsiao, and I) have worked hard last transfer in the Chinese area and eventhough there were many challenges and hard times, Heavenly Father has blessed us with the opportunity to meet Mr Wu and teach him the gospel.
So many more wonderful things happened this past week but I haven't the time to write them all. Know that the Lord is blessing His people here in the Oakland area, both the people and His missionaries. I am grateful to be a part of this great work and I know that each one of you are also being blessed by the Lord! Love you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home