WEEK 26
So I saw Temple Pageant a total of 4 times! SO GOOD! The funny thing is that Sister Khanakham and I have all the songs from the play stuck in our heads. Everyday we find ourselves humming to the tunes from Pageant. One time we even started singing the same song out loud at the same time! Twice we went to Pageant with members who brought investigators with them. That was an awesome experience. One of the investigators was very impressed and we took him to the Visitors' Center after that. That night we gave him a copy of The Book of Mormon and he started reading it on his own! This young man had a good experience because he had good examples from members of the ward. He had several friends from high school who are members of the church. It was a neat experience to be able to work with members – something that we don't get to do as often in the Oakland Chinese Branch.
Today we had a Zone Activity (12 sets (25 people) of missionaries serve in my zone). We played flag football, which is basically football without the tackling. We wear a band around our waits that has strips of cloth ("flag") Velcro-ed to it. So when we play football, instead of tackling the person down, we try to grab a flag off of the person's waist as a substitute to tackling. After "half-time" which was basically "lunch time" =) we switched to a game of ultimate Frisbee. Super fun! Oh, my team won both games by the way =) Oh, and if you don't know how the game ultimate Frisbee goes, may I suggest google-ing it since I don't have time to explain the game…
Most of you already know that Sunday is my favorite day of the week. Weekdays are good, but Sundays are the BEST! I've heard many of the sister missionaries say that they feel like everyday is Sunday during the mission. One of the reasons being that we wear Sunday skirts and dresses everyday, and also, because we are always doing spiritually uplifting things…you know, the things missionaries do... Well, I often think, what makes Sundays different from all the other days of the week for me as a missionary. I think that while we have the opportunity to serve others all week long, attending sacrament meeting is one important thing that we do for ourselves and can't do for others. It is a whole different experience. Also, I look forward to getting spiritually fed by others when we attend Sunday school and Relief Society meetings. It is always nice to sit in the audience and be taught to and participate in the lessons, instead of being the one delivering the message.
By the way, yesterday at church, Sister Khanakham and I did a musical number at Sacrament meeting for the Alamo 1st Ward. There was a young man going on a mission this week and so the chapel was filled with people…when Sister Khanakham and I walked into the chapel, we suddenly felt nervous. We have never seen so many people at church before! The cool temperature in the room didn't help at all either. My companion and I had cold hands. My teeth were chattering and there were butterflies in my tummy…I haven't felt like this in a long time! I tried to think back during the years at Gymnastics competitions and I don't remember ever being this nervous before!
My companion and I were probably praying in our hearts the whole time and hoping not to mess up because we were so nervous, but instead, prayed for help to bring the spirit into the meeting through the music we were about to share. Grateful that we had practiced many times before, Sister Khanakham played beautifully on the piano, and as I sang the words to "One Voice," Heavenly Father put the words in my mouth. The words from each sentence and phrase came to me at the moment it was needed. Although I had trouble remembering the words to this song all week, this time, I felt a certain strength help me testify of the words to this song. It was an unforgettable experience. I love the two scriptures found in D&C 84:85 where it says: "Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man." And D&C 100: 5-6 "Therefore, verily I say unto you, lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men; For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say."
I know that when we treasure up in our minds the words of life and prepare ourselves sufficiently, the Lord will do His part and we can then become instruments in His hands in accomplishing His work. It's true!
Today we had a Zone Activity (12 sets (25 people) of missionaries serve in my zone). We played flag football, which is basically football without the tackling. We wear a band around our waits that has strips of cloth ("flag") Velcro-ed to it. So when we play football, instead of tackling the person down, we try to grab a flag off of the person's waist as a substitute to tackling. After "half-time" which was basically "lunch time" =) we switched to a game of ultimate Frisbee. Super fun! Oh, my team won both games by the way =) Oh, and if you don't know how the game ultimate Frisbee goes, may I suggest google-ing it since I don't have time to explain the game…
Most of you already know that Sunday is my favorite day of the week. Weekdays are good, but Sundays are the BEST! I've heard many of the sister missionaries say that they feel like everyday is Sunday during the mission. One of the reasons being that we wear Sunday skirts and dresses everyday, and also, because we are always doing spiritually uplifting things…you know, the things missionaries do... Well, I often think, what makes Sundays different from all the other days of the week for me as a missionary. I think that while we have the opportunity to serve others all week long, attending sacrament meeting is one important thing that we do for ourselves and can't do for others. It is a whole different experience. Also, I look forward to getting spiritually fed by others when we attend Sunday school and Relief Society meetings. It is always nice to sit in the audience and be taught to and participate in the lessons, instead of being the one delivering the message.
By the way, yesterday at church, Sister Khanakham and I did a musical number at Sacrament meeting for the Alamo 1st Ward. There was a young man going on a mission this week and so the chapel was filled with people…when Sister Khanakham and I walked into the chapel, we suddenly felt nervous. We have never seen so many people at church before! The cool temperature in the room didn't help at all either. My companion and I had cold hands. My teeth were chattering and there were butterflies in my tummy…I haven't felt like this in a long time! I tried to think back during the years at Gymnastics competitions and I don't remember ever being this nervous before!
My companion and I were probably praying in our hearts the whole time and hoping not to mess up because we were so nervous, but instead, prayed for help to bring the spirit into the meeting through the music we were about to share. Grateful that we had practiced many times before, Sister Khanakham played beautifully on the piano, and as I sang the words to "One Voice," Heavenly Father put the words in my mouth. The words from each sentence and phrase came to me at the moment it was needed. Although I had trouble remembering the words to this song all week, this time, I felt a certain strength help me testify of the words to this song. It was an unforgettable experience. I love the two scriptures found in D&C 84:85 where it says: "Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man." And D&C 100: 5-6 "Therefore, verily I say unto you, lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men; For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say."
I know that when we treasure up in our minds the words of life and prepare ourselves sufficiently, the Lord will do His part and we can then become instruments in His hands in accomplishing His work. It's true!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home