WEEK 24
It finally happened! I saw the Oakland Temple Pageant! It was SO GOOD!!
This past Saturday we took a mission picture. All 180 plus missionaries! After that we did a Mission Blitz (like missionary splits) where we were assigned temporary new companions. We were each assigned an area in Oakland to go street contacting or tracting (door knocking). So the whole mission was out proselyting at the same time from 11am-1pm. I went with some Chinese missionaries to teach our new (2 week old) English class that just opened in the Oakland China Town. It was so fun teaching! This free English class has been a great success so far.
So after the Mission Blizt, we had a really good BBQ and then to finish off the day, we watched the special missionary showing of Temple Pageant where the San Francisco mission and San Jose Mission joined us.
The Oakland Temple Pageant is known to be the only pageant with live acting, live singing, live choir, and live orchestral music! It is held indoors in an auditorium (located inside the stake Center right across from the Visitors' Center and the Temple) that seats about 2500 people. So the pageant is like a musical play. There were also great choreographed dances in the play and the youth and young adults did a good job dancing =) It was really well done. In fact, I personally think the performance put up was cooler than the Manti Pageant that I saw last summer..hehehe…I know, I know, not only am I bias towards Oakland, but my major at BYU was Theater Arts and I love music and dance. Watching Pageant was a treat for me and it reminded me of all the great things I got to watch and do while I was at BYU! …sigh…happy day…
Besides temple pageant (that opens July 17 through 21 and 24 through 28) another wonderful thing about this transfer is the chance my companion and I get to do quilting with Sister Abel. Sister Abel is not a member of the Church but her husband was baptized when he was a kid but hasn't been active most of his life. Sister Abel is so sweet and she has taught Sister Khanakham and her companion how to make a quilt last transfer and we are now learning how to make pot-holders. So, one of you lucky people might be getting some pot-holders in the mail! ;-) I think it was perfect that I got transferred in to this area. Imagine sending elders to fellowship sister Abel and do quilting with her…hahaha…it's just a funny thought, that's all…no offense..
One of my favorite things to do with Sister Khanakham is to be able to share music with the ward members and investigators of this area. Since it is a wealthier area, most people have three of these things in their homes – a dog, a swimming pool, and a piano. Sister Khanakham and I often sing and play the piano at dinner appointments with members or when visiting the less-active members. Music is one of the best ways to bring the Spirit into these homes. I have seen how music has softened hearts and has touched lives. It truly has brought people to come unto Christ…I am grateful for this gift that our Heavenly Father has given us. We are blessed to have good music and to have this opportunity to share it with others. My own testimony has been strengthened as I get to bare testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, everyday through singing these powerful and inspired words written into songs.
This past Saturday we took a mission picture. All 180 plus missionaries! After that we did a Mission Blitz (like missionary splits) where we were assigned temporary new companions. We were each assigned an area in Oakland to go street contacting or tracting (door knocking). So the whole mission was out proselyting at the same time from 11am-1pm. I went with some Chinese missionaries to teach our new (2 week old) English class that just opened in the Oakland China Town. It was so fun teaching! This free English class has been a great success so far.
So after the Mission Blizt, we had a really good BBQ and then to finish off the day, we watched the special missionary showing of Temple Pageant where the San Francisco mission and San Jose Mission joined us.
The Oakland Temple Pageant is known to be the only pageant with live acting, live singing, live choir, and live orchestral music! It is held indoors in an auditorium (located inside the stake Center right across from the Visitors' Center and the Temple) that seats about 2500 people. So the pageant is like a musical play. There were also great choreographed dances in the play and the youth and young adults did a good job dancing =) It was really well done. In fact, I personally think the performance put up was cooler than the Manti Pageant that I saw last summer..hehehe…I know, I know, not only am I bias towards Oakland, but my major at BYU was Theater Arts and I love music and dance. Watching Pageant was a treat for me and it reminded me of all the great things I got to watch and do while I was at BYU! …sigh…happy day…
Besides temple pageant (that opens July 17 through 21 and 24 through 28) another wonderful thing about this transfer is the chance my companion and I get to do quilting with Sister Abel. Sister Abel is not a member of the Church but her husband was baptized when he was a kid but hasn't been active most of his life. Sister Abel is so sweet and she has taught Sister Khanakham and her companion how to make a quilt last transfer and we are now learning how to make pot-holders. So, one of you lucky people might be getting some pot-holders in the mail! ;-) I think it was perfect that I got transferred in to this area. Imagine sending elders to fellowship sister Abel and do quilting with her…hahaha…it's just a funny thought, that's all…no offense..
One of my favorite things to do with Sister Khanakham is to be able to share music with the ward members and investigators of this area. Since it is a wealthier area, most people have three of these things in their homes – a dog, a swimming pool, and a piano. Sister Khanakham and I often sing and play the piano at dinner appointments with members or when visiting the less-active members. Music is one of the best ways to bring the Spirit into these homes. I have seen how music has softened hearts and has touched lives. It truly has brought people to come unto Christ…I am grateful for this gift that our Heavenly Father has given us. We are blessed to have good music and to have this opportunity to share it with others. My own testimony has been strengthened as I get to bare testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, everyday through singing these powerful and inspired words written into songs.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home